1. Best Overall: GL.iNet GL-A1300 (Slate Plus) Wireless VPN Encrypted Travel Router
The GL.iNet GL-A1300 (Slate Plus) is a dual-band wireless VPN encrypted travel router that is easy to set up and connect to hotel WiFi and captive portals. It can also be used as a range extender, access point, and has a pocket-sized design. The router runs on the Linux-based OpenWrt 21.02 operating system and is open source, allowing for customization and the installation of additional applications.
It comes pre-installed with OpenVPN and WireGuard and is compatible with over 30 VPN service providers. The router also has a network storage feature that supports SAMBA and WebDav protocols, and an internet kill switch feature. It can be widely used in various locations and is small and light, making it convenient to carry around.
2. Best High-Speed: GL.iNet GL-SFT1200 (Opal) Secure Travel WiFi Router
The GL.iNet GL-SFT1200 (Opal) Secure Travel WiFi Router is a dual-band wireless router that supports 802.11ac and has a simultaneous wireless speed of up to 300 Mbps (2.4GHz) + 867 Mbps (5GHz). It is lightweight and portable, making it easy to take with you on the go.
The router has 3 ports, including 2 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, making it ideal for internet plans and connecting wired devices directly. It also has IPv6 support and pre-installed OpenVPN & WireGuard, compatible with 30+ VPN service providers. Additionally, it has a repeater feature that allows you to convert a public network to a private Wi-Fi for secure surfing. It does not support easytethering.
3. Best For Multiple Devices: GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) Pocket-Sized Wi-Fi 6 Gigabit Travel Router
The GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 is a dual-band pocket-sized Wi-Fi 6 gigabit travel router that can be used as an extender/repeater for hotel and public networks. It has a data transfer rate of 1800 megabits per second and can connect to up to 120 devices simultaneously. The router is compatible with personal computers and has a frequency of 5 GHz.
It is pre-installed with OpenVPN and WireGuard and supports IPv6, and it runs on the latest OpenWrt 21.02 operating system. It also has a feature for easy file sharing, supports NAS, and has a built-in AdGuard Home for filtering unwanted ads and trackers. Additionally, it has a cooling fan for high performance, and support for USB 3.0 and MicroSD for network storage.
Last update on 2023-02-03 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
When looking for the best travel wifi router, consider the following factors:
- Portability: Look for a router that is small and lightweight, making it easy to carry with you on the go.
- Battery life: Consider how long the battery lasts, as this will determine how long you can use the router without needing to recharge.
- Range: Make sure the router has a good range, so you can access the internet from a distance.
- Security: Look for a router that offers a high level of security, to protect your network and data.
- Additional features: Some routers come with additional features such as VPN support or the ability to use a SIM card, which can be useful if you plan to use the router while traveling internationally.
1. Can I use a travel wifi router while traveling internationally?
Yes, some travel wifi routers come with the ability to use a SIM card, which allows you to access the internet while abroad.
2. How do I secure my travel wifi router?
Make sure to change the default password on your router and use a strong, unique password. Additionally, consider using a VPN to encrypt your internet connection and protect your data.
Overall, the best travel wifi router can be a useful tool for staying connected while on the go. Consider the factors mentioned in the buying guide, and be sure to take the necessary steps to secure your router and protect your data.